Thursday, July 6, 2017

Do You Need Rain for Your Roots?

As I sit here in this house, in a foreign country, very far away from home I am reminded just how faithful God is. The rain is dripping and my whole team is occupied. Yet in the drips of the rain there is peace. As I think of how there is green grass and trees in this sub Saharan country, that I have deemed an oven. I’m reminded that roots must be strong and that roots bring peace. These peaceful roots are found in Psalm 1. “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.” Gods blessing is a beautiful and peaceful thing. Relaxing in his will provides calmness and security even in the darkest of places. As the darkness has set in for the night and the rain continues. The roots are growing. 


Psalms describes this man saying  "He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away.” As I think back I have realized that to have growing roots, I needed the rain. In this case, the rain is God’s word. If I did not have this passage or the many others written on my heart. I firmly believe that I could not be calm here. I know that his word stands true because in my heart my peace has not been blown away. As the winds continue to come I ask for your prayers. The Psalmist continues “Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;  for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.” As we continue to feel the winds that drive the rain I know where my roots are planted and on whose rain water they are growing. As peace stands and the Lord sustains. Ask yourself, Do you need rain for your roots?


-Harley