Thursday, December 24, 2015

Please tell me how I can go to heaven!

Over the course of the past summer, my friends and I encountered so many wonderful people. There were times when we were tired, worn out, perplexed, and discouraged but, the Lord constantly sent people our way who would encourage us to keep going.
Toward the last leg of the summer, we had been hiking for many miles in the beating sun. We approached a village that seemed like all the rest. I recall this day being specifically hot and draining and we were desperate for rest.
Our team gathered under the platform of the village leader's home, where we hoped to rest for the night. With much sincerity, the village leader apologized when he informed us there was no room for us in his home. It was relatively small and his whole family still lived there with him. My selfishness drove me to being annoyed with this village, though I made every effort not to let my actions show it. I was honestly ready to strap up our packs and head out to the next village.
Moments later, an elderly woman came out of her home insisting that we all stay with her. She was a widow, who had been living alone for many years. My teammates and I were overjoyed that the Lord was working in our waiting and, that He provided even when I doubted.
We rested well that night and enjoyed most of the next day in that village. When we returned to the lady's house that evening we found her weeping in her kitchen along with her friend (who was also a widow). We were concerned about the situation and we asked what was going on. She proceeded to tell us that she felt a peaceful presence in her home while we were there and when we left for the day it was gone. We told her with confidence that it was completely the presence of the Holy Spirit with us.
"As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him." - 1 John 1:27
From that statement, the conversation transitioned to a spiritual topic and this woman wanted to know how she could know Jesus. She explained how she had not fulfilled all the requirements of her faith, and she feared she would surely go to hell.
I'll never forget her words: "Please tell me how I can go to heaven!"
Her friend who had been with her in her mourning had been hearing the entire conversation as well. By the end of the conversation we were all compelled to tears and the two ladies asked Jesus to save them.
It was so beautiful to see what God had done even in my selfishness and even though we were so exhausted. The presence of the King was with us and we brought His Kingdom to a small platform home in a remote village of Southeast Asia.
There are people like this all over the world who are saying "Please tell me how I can go to Heaven!" They will never know if we never go! We serve a living God. Go and see what He WILL do through you this summer. But I warn you, do not go if you are not willing to learn more about God, push yourself to new limits, or see people come to know Jesus as Lord of their life.

-Coty

#whywego      #ntp52