Friday, July 17, 2015

Red Light, Green Light

Monday was our first day of VBS. I had the group of kids who were 7 years old and younger. I had around 30 kids that I brought outside and sat on a mat under a tree. Some of the neighborhood kids saw us and my kids multiplied to 45! I told the story of Zacchaeus and explained the importance of treating others, even if they have wronged you, nicely and sharing Christ with everyone.

Then it was game time. I had 45 little eyes looking at me, ready and waiting for me to say, "Vert," or green. We played Red Light, Green Light, and they loved it. On "vert" (green), they would quickly start walking toward toward me (they weren't allowed to run). Then I'd say, "Rouge" (red), and they lounge forward or quickly take a few more steps and then stop. I would try to back away from them and they'd all follow. I'd tell them, "No, rouge, rouge." They'd think about stopping and then follow anyway. Finally, when they were close enough to reach me, I'd say, "Vert," and all their little hands would grab me. They'd hug me and cheer. I thought I was going to fall over, but I had too many children surrounding me for that to happen. I would send them back and they'd all run as fast as they could, ready to get to hug the white person at the other end again. I actually think that was why they loved the game so much—they loved hugging and touching the white person's hair at the other end.

There was so much joy in these children during the week and it was truly wonderful to see. It was a blessing to share God's word with children from all kinds of different backgrounds, and many children that never would've stepped foot in a church.

Please pray that these children will remember what they learned about God this week.
Pray that God will send more Christians along to water seeds that were planted during the week so these children may come to know and love Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

By Kaylee