Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Burden.

"What is this?" a young Somali girl asked me, pointing to my necklace.
"It's a cross!" I answered.
"What is that for?" she questioned.
"It's to remember Jesus who died on the cross for us," I responded.
"I will never believe Jesus is God!" She exclaimed. "Never ever ever ever."

Those words have been ringing in my head all week: "I will never believe Jesus is God! Never ever ever ever."

Here is this young girl who I have grown to love. We go into their home at least twice a week to work on reading and math. She and her siblings are so fun. They each have smiles that light up the room. They love to make up jokes and laugh. They won't let me be greeted or say goodbye without the biggest, most genuine of hugs. Their mother is kind and welcoming. I have truly grown to love this family. Yet the tough reality has begun to set in: they pray to a god who does not hear them. They are devout for a religion that is not truth. They spend hours a day at a school learning and memorizing a Holy Book that is in many ways contrary to the Bible. If they were to die today, I would not see them in eternity. Ouch.

Along with this deep burden, this week has been a really good week. May we not forget our call. We have been invited into homes, mosques, and shared meals around many different tables with many different people this week. It has been so good. However, it must not be taken lightly. Relationships continue to be built and Bible studies continue with our friend, A. There are also more potentials of Bible studies that we will continue to pursue this week. We are bringing light into thick darkness and at times we become weary. But God is faithful. What comfort it brings that he hears us when we call on him!

These verses have been constant in my mind and brought much comfort:
2 Timothy 1:7. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and a sound mind.
1 John 4:4. Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

Please pray that Bible study continues and that we have open opportunity to share the life saving news of the gospel.



-Hannah