Thursday, June 18, 2015

Mountains

"I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there?  My help comes from the Lord, who made the heaven
and earth!"  Psalm 121:1-2

Here in Northern Thailand we are surrounded by beautiful mountains - verses like the one above have a whole new meaning in my eyes, seeing these mountains formed by God's Hand. They are unlike the ones I've seen in the US - unique and somehow comforting.  Living in Ohio, I don't see many mountains - we've been here almost 2 weeks and each time I look at these mountains it's as if I was seeing them for the first time.  What an truly wonderful, loving, creator and Father we serve.

"For the Lord is the one who shaped the mountains, stirs up the winds, and reveals His thoughts to mankind." Amos 4:13

We have been teaching in the schools for a little over a week now - we are getting into the routine and flow of things, continually learning ourselves as we try our best each day to shine the love of God and teach English to the children and help the teachers practice speaking it.

I love being able to see the mountains through the windows of the schools where we teach. They serve as a constant reminder to me as to who formed those mountains, His power that I have in me through the Holy Spirit, and it also reminds me why we are here.  I pray for my students as I teach - I pray for their salvation, I pray for their future, and the future of Thailand.  I pray these students will one day rise up with us as we are trying to - "to lead students to finish the Great Commission in this generation."

"The people who walk in darkness will see a great light.
For those who live in a land of deep darkness,
a light will shine." Isaiah 9:2

Some things we would appreciate more prayers for as we head into the rest of this week: 
  • For us to be "present" here - we want to be more focused (not distracted by homesickness, future plans, or worries, etc.)  
  • Wisdom with planning lessons and working with the Thai teachers
  • Please especially pray we can build relationships with the kids here at the dorm we are staying at - pray for the Lord to open doors for us to connect with them and get past language barriers.
-Alyssa