Sunday, June 14, 2015

Driving MC

As I pulled up to the driveway, I took a deep breath and sent up a quick prayer. When I turned to greet the smiling faces, my heart melted and I was reminded why I came to Nashville.  This week I have had the privilege of driving a pregnant Burmese mother, MC, and her three sons to a Vacation Bible School at a local church. MC and her family have been in America for seven years now. She has even become an official citizen! Yet her new life is still far from perfect. 

Each morning that I drove her, I was able to find out more and more about her. MC was married at the age of 20 and gave birth to her first son in a Thai refugee camp. Though I am unsure as to what made her flee her beloved country, I do know that the rest of her family is still in Burma.. When I asked what she appreciates most about America, her response touched me. “In Burma, education costs money. No money, no school. I want my sons to have better opportunities. That is the best thing here.” MC herself was only able to attend school through 6th grade.  

This morning she shared her testimony with the other Burmese mothers and me. “I became a Christian when I married my husband and moved into the refugee camp. In Burma, there are only churches in the cities. No churches in the mountains where I lived. My husband explained to me who God is and I believed. When I was pregnant in the states, I prayed that my husband would be with me for the birth of my boys. Jesus answered that prayer. There are still many things I do not know, but I ask God and my husband and I try to find answers.”- MC


Please pray for the people of Burma. There are still so many who have not heard the name of Jesus.
Please pray for the Burmese who have found refuge among us, that they will more importantly find refuge in Christ.