Sunday, June 14, 2015

Building Friendships & Sharing the Good News

We stepped of the plane, after traveling two days, into a huge city filled with people who don't know Him. The ride from the airport was overwhelming because the traffic here is just crazy. There was so many people on the road, weaving in and out of traffic. I really just wanted to get to the house we were staying out and crash, but our supervisors took us to the Center to attempted to keep us awake until a normal bedtime so that our jet leg would not be too horrible. 

It was primetime at the Center, Thursday at 4PM, so there was so many people there. Nationals come to the Center to practice their English with a native speaker. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12-8 is hangout time at the Center where people come to sit around, play games, and talk. We were told the nationals who come to the Center wait all year for the summer time because that's when the new bulai (white) volunteers show up. So as you can imagine, we when walked in the door everyone was overjoyed to meet us. Everyone wanted to talk to us and the questions just flooded in: Where are you from? What's your age? What are you studying? How much do you pay for university? Are you married? Do you still live at home? (The nationals will ask you any question that comes to their mind. There is not a question that is considered too personal)  It was a busy first time at the Center. 

That day I met a girl named Ashley (name changed for security). She is from one of the unreached people groups in this city. She was so sweet and we got to talk for a good amount of time while I was there. We only made it two hours at the Center before my team looked like we were all about to crash. I told Ashley I hoped we could hang out again once I wasn't so tired. Once we left I prayed that I could build a relationship with Ashley and that I could share the Good News with her. 

Next Tuesday when I was at the Center, Ashley came back. She is getting her Masters and is recently married, so we talked lot about her studies and her wedding. I could feel Ashley starting to open up to us. Before she left, we exchanged numbers. We made plans to hang out after my shift at the Center on Thursday. We went to eat dinner together at KFC at a mall near the Center. She opened up to me about my life and some of her struggles, and I could see the Father answering my prayers. After a conversation about fasting month, which is coming up soon, I had the chance to share the Good News with her. She was really confused about the differences between what her book says about JC and what my guidebook says about Him. She didn't make any decision but it was one of the first times for her to hear all of the Good News. I feel like it was totally a God thing that I met Ashley on my first day here and that we formed a relationship really quickly. The Father blew my mind that I was able to share the Good News in my first week here. Please be praying for Ashley to continue to want to hang out and that I can continue to share with her about JC especially with the fasting month coming up.  Please be praying for all the friendships that our team is building and the people we have gotten to share with. 

-Kristen