Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Am I Being Successful?


Am I being successful? This question has haunted me at different times in my life. It has kept me awake at night. It has caused me, at times, to fill my days with frenzied human activity; that is, when I have used the wrong measuring stick. 

Mother Teresa raised millions of dollars for the poor, mobilized thousands to follow her example, stood before Kings and Presidents, and was recognized world-wide by receiving the Nobel Peace Prize.  We look at these accomplishments and seek to find the secret or key to her success. 

A poem found written on a wall at the Missionaries of Charity years ago might just help us today:
People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered... Forgive them anyway. 
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives... be kind anyway. 
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies... Succeed anyway. 
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you... Be honest and frank anyway.  
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight... Build anyway. 
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous... Be happy anyway. 
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow... Do good anyway. 
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough... Give the world the best you've got anyway. 
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God... It was never between you and them anyway.

Elisabeth Elliot was asked one time about being successful.  Without hesitation, she answered, "I never thought of measuring success.  Obedience is the only measuring stick."

Let us walk in obedience today for an audience of One.