Wednesday, August 6, 2014

We never stand alone

8/4/2014
I have only been home for three days and I’ve had so much to reflect on lately. I had just returned from a two month long mission trip in the Philippines. Right now, I have been experiencing what some might call a “reverse-culture-shock.” After I had just become accustomed to living and loving a new culture that had seemed to feel like a second home, I soon found myself returning to what feels almost like another universe. Soon, I found that I had new eyes to see things about my own culture before I had seemed to be so oblivious to. 


When I was in the Philippines, I left my comfort zone to adjust to a culture whose social some in my own culture may consider strange or backwards. But the reality might be that my own culture is the one living backwards. 

In the Philippines I was living in a culture where everything is more event oriented rather than time oriented. You could walk up to any house and people would just invite you in or to come and eat with them if they were having dinner. When I would walk down the road with my new Filipino friends, they would often grab your arms or almost lean against me as we would walk and talk. People were always close to their friends, family, and even their neighbors. 

In Filipino culture, among your group, often times you will find that “what’s mine is yours and what’s yours is mine.” One friend told me that in another “warm-culture” country he himself visited, that it was rude to call someone and say you were coming over—you were just supposed to come over. Now, I was in the province area of the Philippines so I couldn’t tell you much about the city there, which almost seems like a different culture, but what I did experience in the city was not real pleasant. There, I saw so many in need, but they were more than often ignored. The province had its problems too. Many families I met had a parent or parents who worked in the cities and would only see their children in the province a few times a year. 

When I was making my return home to the U.S. was when I really started to see the monster of isolation that plagues our culture and is steadily moving into other parts of our world. On my flight home, I sat near a traveling American woman who was shying away a small booklet she was reading entitled “How to Make Friends.” At home now I am missing all the everyday community I had grown accustomed to. 

I recently attended a new church plant in my town that is eager to see true gospel community in our area. The pastor, at the end of our gathering, talk about something they like to do called “community group.” Community group is where believers share life together, pray together, share meals together, and simply fellowship together as Christ’s family. Some people in our area may find this strange, but it’s nothing new to the church. Such gatherings are seen in the early church in Acts chapter 2. Such community in the church reflects who God is. 

God is not some lonely being but is triune and has community in himself with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To be the church in our culture who show the world who God is means being counter-cultural and being uncomfortable. It means not being isolated and putting the needs and interests of others above ourselves. This is not easy and we need grace for this. We need to be reminded that in the Gospel that God reconciled a people for himself to live in community with himself and one another. Sin and death still plague our world, but as Christians, we are messengers that hold is coming to an end and that the battle has already been won before it has even ended. 

Personally, I now know how a foreigner may feel coming from such a warm culture to one so isolated as ours. And that can open so many doors to show hospitality that they may miss or even to our own nationals who may have never experienced it. A community that does not simply have community to get something from someone else but community that gives selflessly for the needs and interests of others like Jesus Christ has done for undeserving people like me. The church has the privilege to be the light of Christ to the lost, lonely, dying and dark world around us—and we never stand alone.

-Caleb F.